DIY – Hessian Ring Cushion
It’s time for a little bit of ‘do it yourself’ again! Here’s Emily from Love Me Sew with her step by step guide on how to create these cute hessian ring cushions!
You will need:
- Small piece of pretty fabric to decorate
- Coordinating thread
- Stuffing (not shown on picture)
- Pins and scissors
- Sewing machine and iron
1. Cut two pieces of hessian.
- Cut two squares pieces of hessian measuring 20cm x 20cm.
- Sew a small zig zag stitch around the edges to stop the hessian from fraying.
2. Prepare the decoration.
I have decorated my cushion with a heart but you can really choose anything to match the theme of the wedding.
- On the paper side of the Bondaweb, draw the shape of your decoration (I used a heart template that I had made already.
- Press the Bondaweb for a few seconds, glue-side down, onto the reverse side of your piece of fabric until the Bondaweb has stuck to the fabric.
- Cut out your shape.
- Remove the paper backing of the Bondaweb from your shape, leaving the glue-side on the fabric.
3. Attach the decoration
- Place the shape onto a piece of your hessian, glue-side down.
- Press for a few seconds until your shape has stuck to the hessian.
- Using a small zig zag stitch and coordinating thread, sew around the shape.
4. Putting the cushion together.
- Place the two pieces of hessian right-sides together (so your shape is hidden).
- Pin around the edge.
- Using a 1cm seam allowance, straight stitch around the edge of the cushion leaving a 4cm opening. Stay stitch at the start and end of your line of stitches to secure.
- Press the seams of the opening open.
- Turn the cushion the right way out through your 4cm opening. Press
- Stuff your cushion with wadding through the opening.
- Hand-sew closed the opening.
- Find the centre of your ribbon and hand-sew to the top of the cushion.
Attach the rings and tie in a pretty bow! Lovely.
Happy Crafting x